Search

Content

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Personal Thrift Shopper (for a day!)


I got to be a personal (thrift) shopper for a random stranger last week! It was so much fun. I had a few hours to kill and $10 to spend, so I went in search of little Christmas gifts for my daughter, Imme (scored 5 brand new Hello Kitty craft books and an unopened Connect 4 game for $4.50 total) and on my way in I saw a woman who looked so much like my sister that I said so to her.

I bumped into her a little while later. She was sort of halfheartedly pulling out clothing items then putting them back. I recognized the pattern - it's what I do when I have no idea what I'm doing, meaning when I'm not shopping on purpose. I struck up a conversation with her. Turns out, she is dating again after a divorce and has no date-worthy clothing and very little money. I told her about my thrift project ($200 full wardrobe $20 at a time), and just point blank asked if I could help. So about an hour later, she had 7-8 new mix-n-match items that all came in under $40. :)

I desperately wanted to photograph her in an outfit, but I felt like I already pushed my limits by asking a plus-sized total stranger to be honest about what sizes she wore and what she liked the most about her body. :P

How fun! I gave her my number. I hope she gets in touch at least to let me know how everything works out.




She outright hated the scarf.  It was tagged as pashmina, which is questionable, but I just loved the pattern and color, so I snagged it for myself!

$5 fringed scarf

I also bought this recently. It's a pretty emerald-ish green that my crappy camera phone doesn't properly capture. I just love the fit, but mostly I fell in love with the color and sleeves. So pretty.

Marc Bouwer fitted zippered cardigan $3.50

UPDATE:  I went back and found a couple of the items that we had picked out back on the racks. Bummer, but I also understand. They were already a little outside of her comfort zone, and I know how hard it is to change your ways, especially when you're not fully convinced you're already beautiful. Or, maybe she was just being nice to the crazy woman. Who knows. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Category List

Blog List